Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Stubborn and Disobedient

Today in the one year Bible is the story of how God was sorry he'd ever made Saul king. God had given Saul explicit instructions and while Saul did most of what had been asked of him, he decided that he would hold back from destroying the finest livestock and instead offer them to the Lord for sacrifice. And for that he was called stubborn and disobedient.

What would make Saul do what he thought was best as opposed to what he was instructed. Peer pressure, he wanted to look good in front of the peeps. He wanted to offer the finest of the plunder as a sacrifice to God.

Two problems here, first, it's not a sacrifice if it isn't yours. I would have no problem selling my neighbor's house and donating the proceeds to the church. My house is a different story. It would be a sacrifice. Secondly, where do you want to find favor, the peeps or God? While most of us would say "God," it's not so easy when the peeps are screaming at you.

Also in today's reading, Samuel annointed David as the next king, although it would be quite a journey before the earth would recognize David as the king, it was already so in the heart of God.

I'm probably only ankle deep into my project at this point. Everyday there is a little more to wade through, everyday it becomes a little harder to walk, everyday I could quit. I mean, I'm already raising other peoples kids as well as my own, and I have a small group ministry and a women's ministry and I, I, I. With all that is going on I know in my heart that this is something that God has clearly asked of me. Do I, dare to tell God how I'm going to do things? He has clearly laid out for me that not listening to Him has consequences, and if I don't do HIS will, He'll find someone after His own heart to do it instead. I do not want God to be sorry he called me. I do not want to go crazy watching some lowly farm boy take my spot in glory. Yes, I am already doing a lot, but apparently I can do more.

Remembering, "Whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me-and not without results. For I have worked harder than all the other apostles, yet it was not I but God who was working through me by his grace." 1 Corinthians 15:10

If you'd like to read the story of Saul's demise and David's rise, it is in 1 Samuel 15.

No comments: